Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Body

Several of you referenced the friction/traction thought from the first post, and I want to come back to that another day when I have my McManus book nearby to pull some quotes from. I think it's an interesting concept and idea, that really lends me inspiration and hope in some of the toughest spots in life. One quick thing about friction/traction: from my experience it's right about the time that the friction begins to become truly painful that traction begins to take place. How does that play out in different scenarios in life? That's for another day. I want to toss out something I've been thinking about quite a bit lately.

The church I'm a part of has been under taking some major strategic thinking with regards to our future as a community of faith. We're evaluating everything, and holding none of our "traditional" practices as sacred. It's been a challenging process of questions, dialogue, prayer, vision, dreams, and discovery. In the midst of this process, I've been thinking about the concept of "The Body". You probably know what I'm talking about.

In 1 Corinthians 12, the Apostle Paul lays out this concept of the Body of Christ that is pretty compelling. (You can read the passage here.) Paul writes about how each of us are unique in our creation, and he begins to list various "gifts" that we've received as people. The gift list is diverse, and it doesn't take long to see that Paul is placing value in the uniqueness of creation. You and I are unique. There's no other person on earth that is just like you or me, and that's a beautiful good thing. God made it that way. The very notion that we should all conform to look like one thing is really quite absurd. God would have nothing of the sort. (Granted, scripture does present the idea of spiritual formation being the process of becoming more and more like Jesus. On the surface, these seem to be paradoxical, but I think it's actually quite a tame statement. Perhaps I'll write on that later.)

So, in the end, Paul celebrates the diversity of the community of faith. There are several excerpts that I really like:

  • the body is not made up of one part but of many
  • If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?
  • If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

As I read through this passage and meditated on the process that we were going through as a church, I had a realization.

I've grown up in the church all of my life. It's always been a part of what I did. I've heard people talk about the "Body of Christ" more times than I can remember or count. However, as I reflect, my experience is that the vast majority of the references to "the Body" that I've heard are referring to a specific local congregation. In fact, I know I've heard people refer to different churches as different "bodies of Christ". And for a long time, that didn't really strike any sort of sour note with me.

But then it struck me, the Scriptures don't paint that sort of picture at all! In fact, the Bible paints the picture that every single church, pastor, board member, and congregation member from every geographic region of the planet are all a part of one body. Further, Scripture paints the idea that when one part of the body suffers, we all suffer, and one part is honored, we all rejoice with it.

Has that been your experience of the church?

Do you experience one congregation celebrating the success of another just down the street? When we hear about tremendous things happening in other parts of the globe, do we feel a sense of connectedness to that? When we read a story of a martyr or of oppression in Uganda or China, do we hurt?

Now, I've never been a part of a local congregation that wished ill on another. But, how often do we go out of our way to support them?

Here's my wondering . . . We readily say that individual people have a purpose in life. A function. A job. Or if we're churchy, a calling. And your calling can be completely different than mine, and that's just fine. Neither of us are wrong. Just different. Neither of us is better, just different.

What if the same can be said of a local congregation?

After all, there's only ONE body . . . right? Yet, I think we often operate like we're a bunch of little mini-bodies running all over the place. We live in such a way that says each local congregation has to have 10 toes, 10 fingers, 2 arms, etc. But, is that the picture that the Bible even feigns to present?!?

In my opinion . . . No.

Each local congregation is a part of ONE body . . . everybody.

The little house church meeting underground in Iraq because there's still gunfire flying overhead. A part of everybody.

The Pentecostal church down the street that is more "charismatic" than I'm honestly comfortable with. A part of everybody.

The ultra-Conservative rural church that hasn't changed a thing it does in over 30 years. A part of everybody.

The suburban mega-church that produces sermon outlines, small group studies, teaching materials, and everything else we could possibly want. A part of everybody.

Every Christ following congregation is a part of the same body. Could it be that some of our arguments and disagreements, some of our tensions and quarrels, are not because one side is wrong and the other is right but because the disagreeing congregations are actually called to different things?!?

If each local congregation is not a body unto itself, than it is only natural that we would need to have congregations performing different functions of the body. And when one congregation does something well, we don't have to go out and copy them, hoping to mimic their success. Instead, could we celebrate them???

If we know of a local congregation other than your own who is doing something phenomenal, what if we praise it and talk about it with others in a glowingly positive way, rather than grumble that our congregation didn't get to it first or isn't doing it as well or at all.

Embrace uniqueness! It's the way of Christ!

One body. Many parts. Each called to perform it's function.

Perhaps Paul said it best:

If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Ben, I'm diggin' this! This was a genius idea' although you may want to get a different picture of you for your bio cause some people might wonder about your gender-identity. Nice suit though! Anywho, I haven't seen very many churches reach out to each other and have their congregations connect. I think some are on their way to doing that: e.i., the ski trip with the other churches last year and the "Sky is falling" tour next week. It was/is cool that you brought other churches in on that but I think we need more of that because on night of skiing and staying mostly with people we know isn't that great of a connector. I have this picture of what heaven will look like that is really cool. Someone I know told me that she imagines all the races and cultures of the world dacing their native dances and singing their native songs all together in one massive concert/dance/worship set, whatever you want to call it, in front of the throne of God. The Native Americans will have their feathers and head gear on with their drums and pipes, the Orientals will be in their kamonos with their massive drums, the Scots will be in their kilts playing the drums and bagpipes (Hm, I wonder where I'll be? Ha Ha!), the Mexican/Spaniards will have their Mariachi bands in force with their sombreroes (sp?) on. All the diversity of the world will be there but it will be one giant chorus singing on giant song. I'm a musician and there is one song that really sticks out to me on this topic. It is the song "He Reigns" by the Newsboys. It says, "It’s the song of the redeemed
    Rising from the African plain
    It’s the song of the forgiven
    Drowning out the Amazon rain
    The song of Asian believers
    Filled with God’s holy fire
    It’s every tribe, every tongue, every nation
    A love song born of a grateful choir." I just get that feel of unity that you were talking about Ben. People across the world, thousands of miles between them, language barriers, not the same thought pattern but they are all still the BODY of Chist. I think that it would be cool to partner with a church that is struggling. I'm not talking necissarily about one who believe what we believe but one that loves God passionately but is having trouble spreading their wings and taking flight. I don't know, just an idea. Well, I think that is all I have to say. If anyone has made it to the end of this thing I am most impressed. Another reason I like this blogging idea is because I am a man of many thoughts and words and I can type a lot faster than I can talk.
    Anonymous said...
    Ben,
    I do love this too...so many thoughts to ponder and I love being able to ponder along side you.
    I love your thoughts on every congregation being a part of the body and every person being a part of the body...but how rarely do we see the cooperation between churches that body parts should share? How would we eat with out the hands to get the food to our mouths or the teeth to chew or the salivary glands to break it down...ok I'm going into biological detail here but when we talk about a body there are so many parts that work together to get a job done.
    I am also wanting to through this out at you...I'm taking a class this semester called Perspectives on the World Christian Movement, and from the first chapter they bring out the idea that the whole reason for us being Christians is to glorify God, not so that we can be saved, because God saved us so that we could glorify Him. We have a tendency to look at the Bible and read a passage and think "how can that affect me, how can I apply that to my life..." Well, what was discussed in this class was the fact that the Bible isn't for us or about us. It is about God and His mission of glory from all peoples. It is a completely new way of looking at the Bible for me and perhaps you are already aware of it, but I thought I would share with you my joy for the day...even more support for living a life not for ourselves but for God and His glory...everywhere...
    Ya, I think that about covers it but I'm pretty sure the thoughts are not fully thought out. Hope you can follow this...

Post a Comment