Friday, March 13, 2009

Selective Hearting

I don't read Steven Furtick's blog often, but I stumbled across this post, Ignoring What They Said, from him today:

Jesus is in the middle of performing a miracle in Mark 5:36, and some doubters start to voice their cynicism.
To describe Jesus’ reaction, Mark uses a phrase that ministered to me deeply last week:
Ignoring what they said…
Then, of course, Jesus goes on to heal the little girl, in spite of the surrounding doubt, teaching us a valuable lesson:
In order to witness the miraculous, sometimes you’ll have to ignore what they said.

Maybe some people are perpetually misjudging your motives, and nothing you say seems to sway their verdict.
Ignore what they said.

Perhaps someone in your past filled your head with insecurity about who you could never be, and what you could never do. (Several people told me adamantly I’d fail as a church planter.)
Ignore what they said.

Sometimes the voice of doubt is internal-and we struggle to tune out the static of condemnation, faithlessness, and worst case scenarios.
Ignore what they said.

If any voice is raising itself in contradiction to the will and Word of God concerning you, be like Jesus.
Practice selective hearing.
Ignore what they said.


That resonates with me and my life. I don't want to be ignorant, but, sometimes, I just need to ignore what they said. Instead, I want to listen to what God says. After all, it's His opinion that really matters . . .

2 Comments:

  1. Adam said...
    Ben,

    Great thoughts! I never saw that phrase before. Jesus knew who to listen to and who to ignore. That's what I want for my life!
    Thanks for the insights.
    Adam
    Anonymous said...
    Ben, This is the first time I've looked at your blog. And I looked at it minutes after having a dear friend in my office struggling with what a co-worker supposedly said about her......Sometimes I feel like God is just absolutely integrated into my life in the most amazing ways. Thank you. Dana

Post a Comment