Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Nearly 24 hours ago, I watched with millions of others around the country and around the globe as Obama was crowned President Elect. New media stations took us from location to location around the country showing parties in the streets, people weeping with joy, and others showing us their Obama-love.

I will say this, many of the tears of joy I celebrate in too. I'm proud that we will finally have an African-American President. It's a shame that it took us this long to get to this point. Race is still a HUGE issue in the U.S., and I pray that this will take us one step closer to the dreams that Dr. King so eloquently shared in years gone by.

But, as I watched last night, I was struck with an odd, nagging feeling that pulled down my spirits. I couldn't fully identify it. But, I was tired, so I went to sleep.

When I woke up this morning to spend some time praying and reading from the Scriptures, that same nagging feeling was still there. So, I took it to prayer. And, here's the realization I had:

Barack Obama is just a man.

As I read the articles, listen to the interviews, and see the recaps of the celebrations, I've come to see that many people (maybe millions) are putting their hope and trust in Barack Obama. They are desperate for something better. A bad economy, volatile real estate market, unaffordable health care system, and an uncertain future has sapped them of their hope, confidence, joy, and peace in life. They've listened to this brilliant man's words, and they've placed their hope in him. In many ways, they've made him their . . . savior.

That makes me sad.

Not because they chose to put their hope in Obama, but because they have chosen to put their hope in a man and a man-made governmental system.

Consider the words of Psalm 146:

Praise the LORD.

Praise the LORD, O my soul.


I will praise the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.


Do not put your trust in princes,
in mortal men, who cannot save.


When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
on that very day their plans come to nothing.


Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the LORD his God,


the Maker of heaven and earth,
the sea, and everything in them—
the LORD, who remains faithful forever.


He upholds the cause of the oppressed
and gives food to the hungry.
The LORD sets prisoners free,


the LORD gives sight to the blind,
the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down,
the LORD loves the righteous.


The LORD watches over the alien
and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.


The LORD reigns forever,
your God, O Zion, for all generations.
Praise the LORD.


At the core of my being, I believe that only God can save us from what ails us. Only God can be counted on to provide lasting hope and help. This is the message that the Church has been given to bring to the world!

We have the message of hope!

We have the message of security!

We have the message of peace!

We have the message of purpose!

We have THE message. We have been chosen by God to be His messengers.

Church, please be salt and light to this world that is searching and longing for hope and help. Please be the hands and feet of the body of Christ to those who need a hug and to those that need a ride on your shoulders. This is OUR job, not the government's.

I want to be a part of a community of faith that boldly proclaims the message of Christ through our actions and attitudes in the world. I want to be a part of a community of faith that loves without exceptions. I want to be a part of a community of faith that diligently prays for our governmental leaders, that regularly begs for the wisdom of God to fall upon them. I want to be a part of a community of faith that will reach beyond its walls to those who aren't like them (racially, socially, economically, politically).

I want to be the Church!

How about you? What do you want to be?

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I am so with you, Ben!
    Me, too! How I long for us to be THE CHURCH that is the hope of the world!
    It is up to each of us to make a difference!

Post a Comment