Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Call to Prayer

I try to start every day with some alone time in my living room with my Bible, my journal, a pen, and an open heart to God. It's simply my way of trying to dedicate each and every day to the Savior of the World, the Creator of the Universe.

Honestly, some days are AMAZING. Other days, it seems pretty ordinary. I know that's not what I (or God, for that matter) desire, but it's the way it is.

Today was one of those amazing days, a day that calls me to action.

After doing my normal reading, I had this thought pop up that I should read Isaiah 42 & 43. I wasn't sure why, but I didn't figure that mattered. All that mattered was that I go read and listen for anything that would stand out to me. And then I came across this . . .

"Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.

See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland.

The wild animals honor me,
the jackals and the owls,
because I provide water in the desert
and streams in the wasteland,
to give drink to my people, my chosen,

the people I formed for myself
that they may proclaim my praise."


As I read these words, I had this strong impression that I needed to receive them as a message for God regarding the Gardner campus and Indian Creek Community Church as a whole.

God is doing a new thing at Indian Creek. It's a new chapter. A new work of His grace in and through us. In the desert and wasteland of our society (a place where hope is being lost and where what used to placate our need for true life is failing), God is launching a stream of living water for His people. A stream of living water that will lead to everlasting life. I believe the Gardner campus is a part of the fresh work that God wants to do in Gardner. I also believe that God wants to see His streams of living water flowing from the other churches already in the Gardner community. The campus we are launching is one part of the whole, the Church of God, the People of God.

I know this can sound like convenient reading of the Bible, picking out something that simply makes us feel good. But, I don't think that is what's going on here. Because the verse that caused me to go back and read the text above was this one:


"Yet you have not called upon me, O Jacob,
you have not wearied yourselves for me, O Israel."


I believe God is calling me, and the Gardner campus, to a place of reliant prayer. Here is what I wrote in my journal:

You are making a new way for people who are far from You in Gardner. That
they may experience Your streams of life. You are doing
the work! But, You desire to use us, Your people. However, we must become humble
before Your throne. Lay open before You. You are asking for total submission, no
holding back. This is not a call to one person or family, but to a
community.


I will be in the Prayer Room at Indian Creek Community Church tonight from 6:30 - 7:30pm on my knees before God. I would love for you to join me there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment