Monday, October 06, 2008

21 Days

So, I'm two days behind in my postings, but there are two thoughts I want to share. I'll handle one this post, and another in the next.

For the next 21 Days, Indian Creek Community Church is going on a journey together. The basic idea is pretty simple: what would happen in your life if you cleared the calendar of some of life's stuff, and intentionally sought God out for 21 Days?

If we were all to do that, I think an amazing work of the Holy Spirit would take place. So, here's the 21 Day Challenge:

  1. Read the book of John. For the next 21 days, read one chapter of John per day. Starting with chapter 1 on October 6th, and finishing with chapter 21 on October 26th. It's just that simple. Read one chapter every day. Study it. Examine it.
  2. Journal your thoughts. One of the most beneficial personal practices you can engage in is journaling. By having the discipline to write down your thoughts and prayers, it brings clarity and focus to our spiritual journeys. I want to especially encourage you to write out your prayers. You'll be amazed at the clarity that it brings to your prayer life. It's not magical, but it is significant.
  3. Fast from something. One of the most ancient of spiritual practices is to fast, to basically go without something in your life that is a privilege. Some will fast a particular meal each day. Others will fast from something specific like pop or candy or Starbucks. The point of fasting is simple: each time you crave that thing you are fasting from, it is a reminder to shift your focus to God. To pray. To express gratitude.
  4. Pray that God will speak to you. My prayer is that every person would hear from God every day. One of my daily prayers is "God, speak to me today. Open my eyes that I can see you. Open my ears that I may hear your voice. Open my mind that I may understand your wisdom. Open my heart that I may feel as you do. Open my mouth to speak your truth."
I'm going to take the challenge. I'll be sharing my story here. You can follow the stories of others (and tell your own) at 21days.indiancreek.org.

What would happen if you took time every day to seek God in an intentional way? Better yet, what would happen if you did that every day for 21 Days. Better yet, what would if we, as a community, did that together?

I believe we'd see a movement of God.

So, will you join me for a 21 Day adventure? What excites you about the possibilities?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment