Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Asking Big

Today I am captured by a thought:

Why don't I ask God for bigger things?

Is it possible for me to outdream God? Is it possible for me to dream of impossible scenarios for Him?

What if God is waiting for me to ask before He provides?

As a dad of a 2 year old, I can wrap my brain around this pretty well. There are times when Jonathan wants something; for the sake of simple reading, let's call it a drink. I know Jonathan wants the drink. I want to give him the drink. In fact, I know that he probably needs the drink. But, as a dad, sometimes I make him ask for it. There are a TON of reasons that I might do this. I may want him to learn to say "please" or to work on his language skills. I might want him to experience his dad as one who provides for him when he asks or needs something. Maybe I just want him to slowly begin the process of humility, learning to ask for help.

Do you think our Heavenly Father would ever take that kind of approach with us?

It occurs to me today, that he might. So, I flipped open my Bible and found a couple of familiar passages that are inspiring me all over again.

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him. -Jesus, Matt. 7:7-11

You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. - James 4:2-3


So, I'm going to start asking for big things. Obviously, my motivation and heart needs to be pure. But, I'm going to ask all the same, and ask God to refine what is not made of pure gold.

God, this is me asking again. I believe you are ABLE! Amen, so be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment