Saturday, February 25, 2006

Beauty

Well, I promised I'd eventually get to post some pictures. So, here are a couple of some things that I see pretty regularly.

In the upper left is a building that right now is serving as a simple store. I don't know if it was ever anything other than that, but that's what it is now. But, the art work above the door is pretty impressive. It's all carved out. Definitely a soviet influenced image. The church is a Russian Orthodox church down the street from my hotel. Very pretty. Most of Minsk was destroyed in the bombings that took place during WWII. The lower right is a picture of a couple of buildings that have been restored to their pre-war state. They are a couple of but just a few in the whole city that have architectural influence that pre-dates WWII. Most of the other ones are religious in nature. The lower left is a picture of the "Hero City" monument that is also just down the street from my hotel. I see it every day. Minsk was one of a handful of cities that Stalin labeled as a hero city following the war. This monument is a tribute to that. You can also see a political billboard in the corner. An election is coming soon here. You pretty much only see advertisements for the president and his party. That is one of their billboards.


Alright, I’m going to try to give a little update about how things are going. But, I must warn you, I also have some thoughts that are heavy on my mind. I also want to write about those. The update may be short, but the thoughts most likely will not be.

Things are going extremely well. I’m enjoying the class more and more, and I think the students are as well. We’ve begun to have some passionate discussions and dialogues. It’s beautiful to sit back and watch extremely sharp young men and women discuss, debate, and process practical things when it comes to youth ministry. I am impressed with the beauty of the heart as it moves the principles of Scripture into the realities of life. It’s really a beautiful process. One that I think brings great honor and delight to our Father.

I’m gaining an increased appreciation for the work of the church. Is there anything more honoring than followers of Christ racking their brains, stretching their thinking, and moving themselves into uncomfortable places all in the hopes that the redeeming love of Christ would bring about undeniable change in their culture?

I’m grateful that I have the privilege of being a part of a community that values this work. It’s really matters. The sore knees from praying, the dog-eared pages of the Bible from reading, the stretching conversations where we engage in passionate discussion . . . they’re all worth it. It’s beautiful, and I think the name of God is honored by the process.

I had the privilege of attending a concert-like event last night called the “haroshki”. I’m not sure that’s how you would spell it, but that’s how it sounds. So, it’s probably the correct transliterated form. To write it in Russian would require letters and symbols that I still can’t understand. Learning the language has been even more difficult than I could have imagined.

The haroshki is a Belarusian folk music and dance performance. I know, I know. For many of you, that sounds about as exciting as watching Olympic Curling (which I’m sad to admit that I have now done. I’m embarrassed to admit that I think I actually understand it. It’s still Olympic shuffle board if you ask me.). But, it was really, really good. I’ve posted a picture, but pictures just can’t capture the excitement of the dance, the beauty of the music, and the detail of the costumes. I honestly think it was as entertaining and as exciting as going to a Hawaiian luau. The energy of the music was extremely high. It’s folk music and dance, so fun and humor are a key element. What struck me is that the representation of the 16th Century is more upbeat and exciting than the reality of today. We oftentimes think about in the reverse in America.

I think God is honored by beauty. He created it, after all. And I’m stunned by how often we stifle the beauty of His creation. I’m not just talking about nature. We all know that, as people, we’ve handled our world in such a way that doesn’t always honor the beauty of the created. But, I think of other types of visual beauty, and I’m astounded by that as well. The costumes that were worn at the haroshki were truly beautiful. Ornate and detailed. I know there weren’t necessarily made to honor God, but when I saw them, I thought, “God, thanks for making the colors of our world so beautiful. Thank you that you’ve made us in such a way that we can enjoy what you have created.” However, there is so much more than physical beauty in the world. The music last night was fantastic. I was stunned by the ability of the musicians. But, that’s another beauty that we are very familiar with. I’m learning to love and appreciate inner beauty, that which cannot be seen with the eyes and automatically identified with the harmonics of the ears.

I had a conversation with a young women yesterday. I don’t have the time to tell her whole story, but she’s from South Africa and now is living here in Minsk. She doesn’t really know why she’s here. She doesn’t really know where she’s going in life. And, we began to talk about that. She’s thinking about a lot of really “practical” options for her life. As she shared her thoughts with me, I couldn’t help but notice a lack of beauty in her words. There was no passion, no excitement, no love dripping from her words. Everything she said made so much “sense” in one way, but lacked resonance in another. So, I asked the only question I knew to ask, “what do you love?” And then, a smile drew across her face and beauty began to emanate from her lips. “Art.” She’s an artist. She loves to paint with oils. And as I sat there and listened to her, I was stunned by the beauty of her heart as it poured into words.

“Why don’t you become an artist?”

“There’s no money, no future in that.”

And the beauty left. The smile was gone. The heart silenced. And, I it seemed like the worship of the Father that had been taking place grew dim.

We talked for a bit, about creation. I really think God likes what He created. After all, He said it was “good”. I don’t think He’s crazy about what’s happened to all that He created, but that’s a different matter.

“What if God created your love for art? Your words drip with worship as you speak about the beauty of it.”

“I don’t know.”

“What if God created you with passions and strengths and abilities? Would His desire be for those to be lost to the world of the ‘practical’?”

“Probably not.”

“Think about the sense of taste. It doesn’t have a terribly practical function. There are things that are extremely healthy for me, that I can’t stand the taste of. Likewise, there are things that I love the taste of, but they aren’t really that healthy for me. Taste isn’t that practical. It seems like it’s mostly for our enjoyment. To celebrate the beauty of the creation of God. Perhaps, your love for art is appropriate worship for the creation and beauty of God.”

“I hadn’t ever thought about that.”

“I was taught something earlier this year that I can’t seem to forget. Wasted strengths are like sundials in the shade.”

Isn’t worship in many ways the celebration of the beauty and magnificence of God? These days, I’m seeing His beauty all around me. Certainly in the snow-tipped pine trees. Certainly in a sun-rise. Certainly in a well made meal. But, also in the conversations we hold in pursuit of God. Also, in the gifts, talents, and abilities in others. Also, in the words we say and write.

Beauty.

It’s all around us, really.

The scriptures would say,

The Earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment