Thursday, February 16, 2006

Have you ever encountered something in real life that only existed in books or dreams? Have you ever had your eyes opened to the realities of the world we live in?

That was me today.

Today was the first day of teaching, and I’ll give you a quick update about that before I move into the really striking portion of my day. Since the Belarusian culture is slightly less demonstrative and expressive than what I am used to experiencing back home, it’s hard for me to know how things are going so far. I know now what some of our African-American brothers and sisters must feel like when they come to preach at a church like ours. :^P

A couple of the teachers that were supposed to be here backed out in the last month or so. So, I found out today that my teaching requirements will be a little more extensive. I thought I was teaching a one-week course, two times. I found out today, that I will be teaching the same students for the whole time. (Half were supposed to be taught something else this week.) So, I have only half of the material I need to be fully prepared with. I definitely could use your prayers on that front.

I think my favorite interaction came toward the end of my final session of the day. I had spent some time talking about Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Human Needs. I pretty much just laid out the theory. When I finished teaching the theory, I asked, “What does that have to do with youth ministry?” The very first response: “I was wondering the same thing.” When I laughed to the response, it relieved some tension in the room. We went on to talk about how having an understanding of people is tantamount to being able to minister, etc. A great dialogue really, but a humorous exchange.

I also tried liver for the first time. I didn’t want to. Unfortunately, I have more dignity and self-awareness than your average 5 year old. (At least I did today.) No tantrum or scene ensued. So, I ate it. All of it. It was cut into small pieces and was in some sort of gravy like sauce served over rice. Turns out it wasn’t too bad. I’m not asking for the recipe, but I’ll eat it again if it’s served. Which it probably will be.

On to the inspiration portion of our show. I’m going to warn you right now, this may be long. I was just so struck.

I mentioned yesterday the living history here. I had the privilege to go on a driving tour of Minsk with Sergei, the Bible College director. He’s lived in Belarus his whole life, was a graduate of the Bible College, and then planted 2 churches before returning to run the college. As we traversed the city, seeing building after building bearing the fingerprint of Stalin and the Soviet regime, we talked about life about ministry and about the realities of the culture here. In some ways similar to ours, in other ways so different. Over the weekend, I’m hoping to be able to take some pictures of the large monuments that have been set up since WWII. I’ll post them here if I can. Very interesting.

We got to talking about the church, and a vague reference to illegality was mentioned. So, I jumped at the opportunity to ask a direct question. “What is it illegal for Christianity to do here?” To make a long story short, it is illegal to witness in public. No preaching. No handing out spiritual tracts. No overt evangelism of any kind. First offense: fine. Second offense: a week in jail. I didn’t ask what happens from offense three and on, I assumed punishment escalated. A church meeting with less than 20 people isn’t legal. I don’t know that I fully get this one. But, a church plant with 10 or 15 people isn’t legal in ANY case. Once a church has 20 or more, they can apply to be registered with the government. The government may or may not grant them their registration. Punishment for offense? Similar. Fines and then jail time. And then he said it. A phrase that will echo in my ears for a long time. With his awesome accent, “Eh, what are we going to do, stop ministry?!?”

Perhaps those words will ring a bit if I give you some background. His wife’s father spent 19 years in prison because he was an open Christian. Age 20 to age 39. Gone. Not that nothing positive happened in the prison, but he paid a high price for his faith. No offense kept him imprisoned other than his faith.

Now I think about these students I’m getting to know. Being here, I’m out of my comfort zone for sure. Who wouldn’t be? But, am I really that courageous? That’s a word that should be reserved for these young men and women. There is a passion that drives them in the face of adversity that is absolutely beautiful.

-Ben

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    wow. thats intense, and very interesting. Must be sooo sweet thou! Humor is a great international language. I know u might already know this, but george finaly proposed! she said yes! :) I'm not sure about that whole liver thing...but i will def be praying for your lessons and you and sarah while u are away :)
    Much love!
    Anonymous said...
    Hey kid its Kendra. i hope your trip is going good. Things here are crazy like always, but what is werid is that things are even more crazy than when you are here. I know that is hard to believe, but it is. Well I have to go have a great day.

Post a Comment