Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Mmm, Mmm, Good . . .

I’ve discovered a new piece of heaven here on earth. It’s kind of like a liquid chocolate, except it seems even better. My Russian isn’t real sharp, but I think the label roughly translates to: “God’s Chocolate Sauce: Improving Coffee and Manna since Mt. Sinai”. It’s scary how good this stuff is in coffee and tea. I’m going to have to see if I can find a can in a market some where before I head home.



Teaching is going fairly well. To make use of the extra time that I’ve been given, I have chosen to elongate most of my sessions and include a few group projects. I had so much material that I had wanted to cover in 5 days, it’s kind of a blessing that I now have 10 days to teach it in.

I do wish it were easier to communicate back and forth. Though I believe that our time together is beneficial, I love to facilitate discussion amongst the group. The need for a translator I think some times prevents me from catching the nuances of what is taking place in the room. But, I knew about this challenge when I signed up for this adventure.

My schedule is quickly filling up. I counted while in the shower this morning. In the course of my time here (nearly 3 weeks total), I will teach a minimum of 43 times. That’s assuming I’m not urged to speak anywhere else. The astounding part is that all of those teaching sessions come within a span of 14 days! Churches and ministries here are eager to have me come and teach in one of their gatherings. I’m really not sure what’s up with that. Apparently, they don’t know what they’re getting themselves into. 8^) But, it keeps me busy. It ensures that I don’t have enough idle time to get myself in trouble.

Went to the hotel restaurant on my own last night. It was my first foray to get something to eat (McDonald’s doesn’t count. Saying Big Mac is not a cultural experience.) With my English/Russian dictionary in hand, I managed to order for myself some chicken, rice, steamed veggies, bread, and a Coke. It wasn’t pretty, but I wasn’t hungry when I finished. I guess that would qualify it as a successful trip.

I got to see some ministry that is happening on a college campus today. Totally underground. Totally illegal. Totally inspiring. We did some contact evangelism, which just isn't "allowed" here. We really didn't try to hide it or anything. I took a pic with the group, but I'm not going to post that for the public to see. I got to hear a 18-year old girl say about the threat of punishment for sharing her faith, "I'm not afraid." Man, I'm so pumped about ministry like that!

When I was travelling back to the hotel, I began to think about the history of the church. You know, it's done quite well when it's been persecuted in the past . . .

Could some of our issues in the American church be that we've gotten to lazy without any "resistance"? I don't know if I believe that or not. It's just a thought.

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    HAHA i love that lable! thats awesome. I read your other posts too to catch up. I concure....chicken from a tube is not natural, sounds like airline or space food. I am sure you are having a blast out there, I know I would! You fo' sho' need some pics up in here. (haha sorry I couldnt stop myself!) I will continue to pray for you and your teachings! I know God is doing great things through you out there, it's so exciting!!

    Much love

    PS thanks for talkin to me earlier! It made my day!
    Anonymous said...
    Well, I'd be all over that chocolate sauce!
    And man, the persecution that goes on in other countries is hard for America to grasp sometimes. We don't have to deal with very much at all. It makes being a christian just what you do because you live in America. Then this whole stereotype of Americans=christians thing goes out there and any type of ministry seems like a conversion to American lifestyle. It happened when Rome declared christianity the official religion. It just seems to make it hard to spread the word of God when everyone tags on a cultural lifestyle around it.
    I'm sure you hear this several times a day but I'm praying for you to be used by God while you are there to really inspire and encourage the believers who are being prosecuted. They have strength that we have never had to use.
    alee
    Anonymous said...
    Ben, So glad to hear things are going well. The Chocolate sounds wonderful... Deb and I pray for you and Sara. Rest in his arms.
    In christ,

    Randy Casey
    Romans 12:12
    Anonymous said...
    I can't imagine being in the place of those teenagers in Belarus. They seem so bold and fearless, not caring what could happen because God is more important to them. It would be cool to meet them. I don't know if we as Americans are lazy, but I think we take being able to worship God without fear of persecution for granted. I know I do and I need to work on that. Being able to live in America is kind of a blessing you could say because we can basically worship God whenever and wherever we want. God could have had us live anywhere else in the world, but for some reason He placed me and all other Americans here. It is kind of weird to think about because God has a reason for everything. I guess that's just something to ponder. On a more lighter note, that chocolate stuff sounds amazing, especially if it makes coffee better. Mmmm...chocolate and coffee, two of my favorite things. You should totally bring some of that stuff back with you. You are still in my prayers and keep up the good work, cause I am sure you are doing an awesome job teaching.
    Anonymous said...
    Wow. That was kind of long, but I hadn't commented in a while so I guess I was just making up for that :)
    Anonymous said...
    hey ben,
    I was just thinking of you and finally got a chance to read your adventures. Can't wait to hear more when you get back. Love you and keep soaking up every moment. Your sis

Post a Comment