Saturday, February 18, 2006

Have you ever thought you were doing alright, and then find out that you were much more in need that you thought you were?

Just last night I had the privilege of being invited for dinner to the home of an American missionary. They actually invited another missionary couple who lives in the same building as them to join us. Five of us in all. Dinner was fantastic. She made ham with pineapple, fried rice, green beans, fresh slice veggies, and bread. Almost like being at home, so that was a nice little change up. She also made these bars for dessert that are made with honey and something else. Mmmmmmm.

Anyways, they asked how I was adjusting to the time change. And, I said that I was doing well. Wasn't really feeling any sort of ill effects. Sleeping fine. Waking up fine. I felt like I was doing great.

The night moved on, and I returned to my hotel around 9 p.m. or so. I proceeded to watch some Olympics that I can't understand (this is becoming a bit of a normal thing for me. I got to watch that American gal wipe out live. That was pretty sweet.), and then I played some games on my laptop. I entered into some sort of solitaire induced haze, and before I knew it the clock had rolled around to 1 a.m. So, I finished what I was doing, and got ready for bed.

I didn't need to set any sort of alarm, because breakfast is open until 10 a.m., and I never sleep that long . . . famous last words.

I awoke to world ready for some breakfast only to realize that I missed out. Not by a little bit, mind you. But to an extent that is quite uncommon for me. It was after 1 p.m., and I was still tired. I'm not sure, but I think I may have slipped into a liver induced coma. Fortunately, I've found, the body has defenses for such things, and it is only temporary. The scary part is that I could have gone back to sleep right away. I didn't for fear I would die.

I got to try Lebanese food tonight. I'm not entirely sure what I ate. I thought it was going to be chicken, but it came out in little tubes, like sausage. Not sure what I think about that. While eating it, I chose to believe it was some other meat than chicken because that seemed like a better option. Chicken shouldn't come in tubes. In any case, the taste was pretty good (a nice little spice to it), and it came with french fries (always a safe choice). There was also a cole slaw type salad (basically, cabbage with mayo) and pickles. The pickles I particularly enjoyed. They were kind of a cross between a dill pickle and a sweet pickle. Strange, I know, but quite tasty.

That's all the more exciting it got for me today. Due to my propensity to slumber, I didn't get a chance to take pics. I'm going to see a couple of friends of mine tomorrow who are missionaries here tomorrow. Perhaps a photo or two will come then.

Thanks for praying! They're giving me a lot of rest! 8^)

-Ben

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    dude ... having traveled extensively in various parts of the globe over the past ten years i have eaten my fair share of the odd and unusual. blood sausage in spain, chicken broth potato stew in romania, boiled goat in cuba, pig tail in jamaica, pickeled artichokes in israel, and more blood sausage in austria ... my advice; stay away from any blood sausage ... anywhere!
    Anonymous said...
    Ben! Man i need to add your blog to my favorites, cuz it is difficult for me to remember the address... Any how- Waking up has been an issue for me too! these past three days i have woken up late! But i think i like the Liver enduced coma theory.
    Man I am so excited for you, what a huge opportunity you have over there! I read your post about how it is fairly illegal to be an outspoken Christian, and wow! What faith those men and women have! That is stinkin sweet, and inspiring! I will keep praying for you and the men and women you are affecting!
    Anonymous said...
    Well Ben,
    You are in a foreign country...you are so willing to do whatever God calls you to do! I love that! It really is encouraging...knowing that maybe someday God will call anybody anywhere! Wow.
    I hope that things keep going well, I am praying for you and the people over there. I was home this past weekend and thought about saying hi to you guys upstairs...but realized that you weren't even there! I know, I'm slow...
    And about that chicken sausage...that is just wrong. You can do chicken in just about any way but not in sausage form...you cross the line doing that. But at the same time, I'm kinda interested and want to try to make it!
    Well, keep on keeping on and yay God!
    alee
    Anonymous said...
    Ah, I wish I weren't in America right now. But, I suppose you have to be where you need to be when you need to be there. Hm. I just caught myself up with your life, and what can I say? Lots of things, because it is me, after all. Things like I wish I knew someone named Sergei, and sleeping does rather take over my life when it can. And I should be studying for an American Lit test, but I find this much more entertaining. I think the guy that just sat next to me reeks of cologne. Anyway, prayers are yours, and I'm just so excited that you aren't here. In America. Because I wish I weren't a lot of times. Anyway...
    Whitney

Post a Comment